When using the BackHug automated therapy device (“BackHug”), please be sure to take the basic precautions you would take with any electrical device to prevent the risk of electric shock, burns, fire or injury.
Please read the following precautions before using the BackHug. Click here to read: device manual & installation guide.
- The BackHug should not be used by anyone under the age of 18. Users must be 18 or over.
- The device should not be used by anyone with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities unless they have been given supervision or instruction.
- Make sure the power plug is securely inserted into a standard power socket to reduce the risk of short-circuit or fire.
- DO NOT use the device outdoors.
- Never plug/unplug the power plug from the power socket with wet hands.
- DO NOT move the device by pulling on the power cable.
- If you find any rips or tears in the neoprene “membrane” of the device, stop using the device immediately and contact us.
- Consult your doctor if you are in any doubt as to whether or not you should use the BackHug.
- Do not use the BackHug unless a physician has advised you that it is safe to do so if you are pregnant, undergoing any medical treatment, using any medical electronic device such as a pacemaker, or are experiencing any of the following: Malignant tumour, heart disease, any injuries related to back, neck, shoulder or hip, any medical conditions related to back, neck, shoulder or hip, abnormal or curved back bone, osteoporosis or acute illness.
- DO NOT attempt to stand or sit on the “membrane”, “finger mechanism” (see section 2.6 of the User Manual) or “leg rest” in order to prevent accident or injury to yourself or damage to the BackHug.
- Do not start the BackHug session unless you are lying on the device.
- Do not use the device for the head, abdomen, elbows or knees.
- When climbing on or off BackHug, be careful of the risk of falling.
- DO NOT allow children or pets near the device during use.
- Do not allow the BackHug's moving parts to come into contact with any swollen or inflamed parts of the body.
- DO NOT use the device for more than 60 minutes at a time or a total of 60 minutes within 24hrs.
- Always wear clothing when using the device; only treatment of the neck area should be in direct contact with bare skin.
- When using the BackHug, DO NOT twist your body and always try to maintain a straight posture.
- If you experience pain or feel sick while using the BackHug, stop using the BackHug immediately.
- Use the BackHug as instructed in this manual and in particular adhere to the treatment duration and usage guidelines stated in this manual.
- Do not attempt to place fingers/hands in the cavity beneath the leg rest when leg rest is extended. Doing so during the ‘extension’ or ‘retraction’ motion may cause you injury.
- Always unplug the device from the electrical outlet before cleaning.
- We recommend using a vacuum cleaner to remove dust or hair from and wet wipes to clean the upholstery and membrane. If you want to use liquid product to clean the BackHug, please spray the product onto a lint-free cloth and not directly onto the device (see 2.12 Cleaning Your BackHug device for more detailed instructions)
- DO NOT wet the upholstery and in particular the “membrane” as this could cause water damage to the internal mechanism.
- Repeated use of BackHug, particularly with strong pressure settings, may leave marks or cause dry skin or skin discolouration from time to time. This effect can be mitigated by wearing extra layers of clothing or placing a blanket or other softening layer on the device during treatment.
The age, height and weight limitations
Anyone 18 years or older, between 4'11" (150 cms) and 6'5" (198 cms) in height and no more than 26 st (165 kg) in weight can safely use BackHug. If you are 75 years or older, we recommend you consult your physician before using BackHug.
We advise anyone who does not fall within any of these recommended age, height or weight parameters not to use BackHug.